Saturday, January 30, 2010

Aliasing

Now for the science bit...
Aliasing is a term taken from signal processing. It describes the situation when the sampling rate has a similar frequency to the frequency of the thing being sampled. If you are really keen, then you can read up on the Nyquist frequency here. Imagine sitting on a beach watching the waves crash on the shore. If they come in every second (for example) and you also blink your eyes so you only look every second, as you open your eyes, a wave might be breaking, you close them again, open them again and another wave is breaking. If you do this for a little while, the waves will look as though they are stationary. The same effect can be seen when a strobe lamp is shone in a night club and it makes wagon wheels appear stationary or go backwards on old cowboy films. It is better explained here, and its a phenomenon I quite like. Not much application to classic cars but I just thought I'd share...

I'm afraid I have a habit of trying to explain things to people - whether they like it or not. Now its your turn, dear reader. My long suffering kids get it quite a lot too. Megan (7) was learning about radiators today.

Molly is now out any about again. The snow is long gone, and we've got the permafrost back (which I like). Apart from the care needed on icy patches, winter driving is fine so far. I'm a bit paranoid about the road salt, but with fibreglass wings and underseal (and a MIG welder) things should be fine.

Yesterday the cover came off the van and the front trim was re-fitted. The painting is a bit of a mess, but it is all white(ish) and (largely) rust free. I'm having a bit of a dilemma about the front number plate. Firstly its a nasty plastic modern one (no dilemma there...) so I want to get rid of it. Unfortunately she's too young to have black and white ones, but the plate is screwed to the front panel which kind of messes up the cars lines so I'd like to put it somewhere else. I might hang it off the bumper or think of something else. Answers on a postcard please...

No comments: