Monday, September 08, 2008

Four wheels good, 2 wheels bad

I have always hankered after a scooter, not just any scooter, but a Vespa PX125. I used to watch in awe as the Scooterboys of Burton-on-Trent hung out at the courts (probably waiting for one of their pals to come out from their hearing). I will get one one day - hopefully soon, when I have the money, and space and deep deep need (oh and the licence).

Why all this babbling about 2 wheels, when I've firmly put myself in the 4 wheeled camp? Well some idiot pulled out into my Dad on his motorbike last weekend. He and his pillion were badly hurt, and he's still in Lincoln County hospital with 5 broken ribs. I spent most of last week up and down the county visiting him.

He's getting better, but I can't seem to get over the injustice of it all. He's a safe rider, the traffic was slow, and he was riding a big - sensible bike (not a sporty job). My dad is was in the process of easing himself into retirement by way of longer and longer trips out on his bike. I want him to be happy, I want him to be able to go out and enjoy life, without careless idiots spoiling it for him. I don't want him to be put off, and to prove it, I won't be put off either. I'm going to join the 2 wheeled world, and find out what all the fuss is about.

So be safe out there guys - watch out for those bikes will you? It might be me or my dad you are pulling out in front of.

No comments: