Tuesday, October 07, 2003

Got back into the garage last night in order to investigate the mysterious sounds from the rear axle under accelereation and managed to strip down the ubolts etc on the offside. If all came apart quite easliy (and so it should - I only just built it!) but I found 3 problems
1) the thread on the u bolts was very badly worn as were the nuts - time for a new set I think.
2) the diff casing had been fouling on the new telescopic shock mounting bar - which implies that the axle was coming up too high - so I'm going to fit full bumpstops this time!
3) last and definatly worst - the axle mounting plate was found to be rusty and had collapsed, which allowed the axle to move and probably start all these issues in the first place.

The mounting plates don't seem to be listed by any of the on-line retailers, but I gave the Bath morris minor centre a call and they put me in touch with
Charles Ware's morris minor centre who have some in stock and they should be here in the next couple of days!
It's really annoying that I had the axle off last winter, cleaned it up and painted it. Well it just goes to show - if a jobs worth doing...


No comments: