A day to day update on the restoration and maintenance of a 1962 morris minor and a 1976 Commer PB. Classic car restoration, parenting and general hobby engineering too
Sunday, October 14, 2007
The kids and their mom are away for half term, my laptop has been impounded so progress has been made! I have spent most of the weekend whittling the rear arch repair panel and making a new panel too. (sorry neighbours!)
I took my time and lined everything beforeI got the welder fired up. The panel took quite a bit of re-shaping, but it wasn't too bad in the end. The small holes are so that the panel can be plug welded which mimics the original spot welding (but is a little stronger).
I did manage to find some "new" rust however. I'm not sure how, as I have been crawling all over the car for years now! What seems to have happened is the leaky rear screen has soaked the bit of leather which holds the bottom of the headlining in, this in turn caused the bit of steel below it to rust out. Its probably the most awkward area to fix properly, so it'll be a case of cleaning, killing the rust and keeping an eye on it.